Friday, January 13, 2006

Howard Stern kicks iBiquity into gear?

Has it been all the media attention directed to Howard Stern and his crossover to satellite radio that has finally gotten the Ibiquity company into gear with promoting HD radio and getting consumers onboard with HD radio tuners? In a move that may be just a little too late - in Las Vegas on Jan 6, at the Consumer Electronics Show - Ibiquity Digital unveiled a blueprint for an HD Radio tuner box that could turn a satellite-ready receiver into an HD Radio enabled unit. The tuner box can be installed in an automobile dash and is compatible with more than 200 existing receivers from OEMs as well as aftermarket manufacturers such as Pioneer and Sony. The box would allow car owners to receive HD Radio signals without having to remove their car's existing receivers and sound systems. Remember, these HD units allow listeners to receive digital radio signals, and all their accompanying perks - for free.

The iBiquity news is reported like it's a big accomplishment, but in reality the satellite radio guys are already WAY ahead. As a station manager of a public radio station I need to know what the competition is about and that's why I asked Santa for a satellite radio receiver and a year's subscription to Sirius satellite radio. I was apparently a good girl last year so Santa got it for me. My Sirius "starmate" cost $79 and it works with my car's existing receiver. The easy install was completed in 5 minutes by me. I powered it by plugging it into the car's lighter, then the magnetic antenna was stuck on the roof, I turned it on and immediately got over 120 channels of programming. Yes, there's wires hanging down, and that bothered me for about a day. Now I don't even notice it.

HD radio stations broadcasting in Orlando currently include 4 Cox-owned stations, and, WUCF. None of these stations are offering more than one programming stream yet, thus WUCF is on a path to be the FIRST station in Orlando streaming multiple channels of programming, for free, over the digital radio airwaves. Stay tuned! - Kayonne Riley, Station Manager

No comments: