Thursday, January 05, 2006

Santa brought me Sirius Radio!


Greeting from the studios of WUCF-FM in beautiful sunshiney Central Florida. Today we should reach the mid-70's and all should be great until this weekend when we'll get some colder temperatures. If it sounds like I'm all too familiar with the weather forecast this morning, it's because I am VERY familiar with it since I had to finish up the second half of Alan Rock's morning jazz show here on 89.9 FM. Always a fun time. Especially since I only had to get here by 8:30, rather than 6 am. No extra coffee required.

So. The big news is that my best Christmas present from a couple weeks ago was a Sirius satellite receiver for my car, and a year's subscription to the service.Wow. Over 80 channels of commercial-free music, and 184 channels in all, with news, sports, public radio and international programming. The song titles and artists are displayed on the receiver's face, so I never have to wonder who, or what I'm listening to. The "dj's" keep their spots brief, and upbeat. There's a lot of famous guest hosts making appearances as well.

To my mind, the radio playing field has been changed. And I am all-the-more motivated to continue our work in moving WUCF up a few notches in the HD Digital broadcast world. With our HD Digital signal we have the capability to broadcast multiple channels of programming, so listeners with HD Digital radios can select from our jazz broadcast, or our public radio talk broadcast, or, our music variety broadcast, etc. And, WE will be streaming artist and title information as a part of the service as well. This large project will take more equipment, and a lot of work.

That being said, I've got to get back to work now! Don't forget to tune us in on the web at wucf.org ---- Cheers! - Kayonne Riley, Station Manager

No comments: