Monday, January 09, 2006

Terrestrial Radio vs. Satellite Radio

I read with great interest this morning of the push that iBiquity is making to increase HD radio awareness in the auto industry. They have hired KGPR, a public relations agency, to communicate the advantages and importance of digital HD radio to today's carmakers. The importance of getting HD radios into listener's cars (and lives) is a real concern that I and my fellow terrestrial broadcasters have. I believe that until automakers begin building cars with HD radio receivers as standard equipment, no real shift in digital radio listenership will occur.

A couple questions to illustrate... Do you have an HD radio? Does anyone you know have one? I don't own one, and I work in the broadcast industry. I do however have a Sirius satellite receiver, as noted in my last posting.

HD radio can offer for FREE, multiple streams of programming, artist and title on-screen information, and, a sound quality that far surpasses regular analog broadcasts. It is a great service. We just need to have radios in peoples hands. - Kayonne Riley, Station Manager

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.